Friday, July 19, 2013

Enchilada Casserole Steb by Step

Today I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes with you. I learned how to make this casserole when I was about 17. Our youth group needed a dish to sell for a fundraiser and my best friend's dad recommended that we make Enchilada Casserole because it was easy and affordable. Well, me, my friend Elizabeth and her brother Roger got together made ourselves some awesome enchilada casseroles! I've been making it ever since then. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.





This recipe is easy and very affordable. You just need a few ingredients.


You will need the following ingredients:
shredded cooked chicken
a lot of cheese
corn tortillas
vegetable oil
for the sauce:
Large can Old El Paso Enchilada sauce
Knorr (Chicken flavor)
chicken stock (save about 1 cup when you boil your chicken)
flour
That's it, now let's get cooking..............

I thicken up the sauce a little. So, first in a large hot pan add a little bit of oil. Then add
1 tablespoon of flour. Then just stir it around for about 2 or 3 minutes and let the flour cook a little. When it turns a nice light brown you're ready to move on to the next step.



Open up your can of enchilada sauce and slowly pour it in as you wisk it around a little. Your sauce will be very thick at this point. Continue to wisk the sauce taking out any little lumps of flour. Next, add your chicken stock until you get it to a workable consistency. Add about 1 Teaspoon of Knorr to your sauce. Your sauce should look like a thinned out gravy. But red.


Set the sauce aside. It might thicken up a little as it rests but you can continue to add chicken stock to thin it out.


Add 1 TBSN of oil to a small hot pan. Over medium heat warm up your corn tortillas flipping them over once.


Line a large plate with paper towels. And place your tortillas on the plate dapping off any excess oil.
For this demonstration I used a 8x8 baking dish. So For this pan you need to warm 12 tortillas.

For a larger 9x12 dish you will need 18.


Now that you have your sauce and soft warm tortillas you are ready to assemble your casserole. Dip each tortilla in the sauce and line them up in your baking dish.


Add a layer of chicken.


Add a layer of cheese.


Dip four more tortillas and repeat the layers.


Tortillas, Chicken and Cheese.....



Then top it off with one more layer of warm dipped tortillas and one more layer of cheese. Cover with foil and heat in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.


Their faces say it all!!! Buen Provecho!

Linking up with:







5 comments:

  1. That Looks good, Liz! I can't wait took try it with my picky eaters. I'm looking forward to more of your easy recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cris! Thank you so much for stopping by. I have two picky eaters too and they love this dish, let me know how they like it. Buen Provecho! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks Toddie, this is one of our favorite meals. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is actually good, but as a mexican I can tell you a few advice, i prefer the original process to make the sauce but I'm not sure if you can buy the 'chile colorado' everywhere or if will be very hot for you, so i recommend other way to do it, instead the 'enchilada sauce' you put tomato sauce in a hot pan, without the flour, and do the same you did with the tortillas. You can serve it directly in your plate and add tomato, onion, lettuce and cheese in the top. So delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the tip! I will definitely try sometime....I am actually Mexican myself but a kind of lazy one, with 4 kiddos and full time student I'm always simplifying my recipes. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Liz

      Delete